- No personal attacks, of me or of other commenters. If you don’t know what constitutes a personal attack, here is an explanation.
- Use your real name or online handle and provide a real email address (it won’t be published). No comments from “someone you know” or “lolol” or “fuck you” will get past moderation, so don’t try.
- I usually try to respond to comments, but I’m not obligated to.
- A corollary to #3: I’m not interested in long, drawn-out Internet flamewars/arguments. If you’re looking for that, you’ve come to the wrong place. (I would suggest Reddit or Tumblr.) I’ll usually respond to arguments at least once, but don’t expect me to keep on countering your points as if I have nothing else to do with my life.
- If you use a condescending or otherwise rude tone, I’ll probably respond in kind. If you don’t like my tone, you can leave.
- My blog is not a newspaper, research journal, or public forum, and I don’t treat it as such. Whiny comments to the effect of “but you didn’t present the opposing opinion!” or “but that’s not a random sample!” will probably be made fun of.
- If you make it obvious in your comment that you haven’t actually read the post you’re commenting on, I will tell you so. Don’t do that. It’s obvious.
- Trolling comments will be deleted. What qualifies as trolling is up to me to determine, since, you know, it’s my blog.
- Although I hesitate to call this blog a “safe space,” there are limits to the types of discourse I’m willing to provide a forum for. Respectful disagreement is okay. Sexism, racism, hetero-/cissexism, ableism, ageism, rape apology, and other stuff in that vein is not. I don’t really care about your supposed “free speech,” as you can go do that somewhere that isn’t my blog.
Ignore this policy at your own peril. I get pretty snarky when I’m irritated. :)
In general, I do this for fun. I don’t get paid for it and it doesn’t give me any benefits aside from the joy of writing. I don’t have to deal with stuff that makes this anything less than a fun diversion for me, so I’m not going to.